About Internet Download Manager (IDM)
Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a simple, user-friendly but powerful video download and management tool for Windows. With its intuitive graphical user interface, IDM allows you to download videos from the internet in a variety of formats, edit them off-line, and then view them in a compatible video player. Save downloaded files to your computer, then convert them and upload them to any video website.
Internet Download Manager is compatible with all recent versions of Windows and with most browsers. IDM allows you to download videos from YouTube and other sites. It works as an add-on for Internet Explorer and Firefox, and as an extension for Google Chrome.
How to download YouTube videos with IDM
Firstly, download and install Internet Download Manager on your computer. Make sure you’re not running a web browser during the download. Follow the simple set-up instructions for IDM, then launch your browser. A message should appear in the Web browser window stating that the IDM Integration add-on or extension is ready to activate.
Using the Chrome browser as an example, follow these steps:
- Go to settings and then click on extensions (top left side in chrome).
- Minimise your browser and open the location (folder) where IDM is installed. Generally, it is in C:Program Files (x86)Internet Download Manager.
- Find the file “IDMGCExt.crx or IDMGCExt”.
- Drag this file to your chrome browser and drop to install the IDM extension.
You are now ready to download YouTube videos. Launch YouTube and select a video. When the video begins to play, you’ll see a “Download This Video” button directly above the video: Click this, select the file attributes and destination folder, specify a category and add a description of the video if you wish.
Once the file is downloaded, it can be viewed on your choice of video player. You can also edit it off-line, for uploading to any video website.
Alternatives to Internet Download Manager
There are many video download tools besides IDM and one of the best is Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate is much more than a converter: It will allow you to convert, edit, enhance, download, burn, organize, capture, and watch in over 150 formats.
- Simply download Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate to your PC, and you have a full video editing suite for use off-line.
- Once installed, launch the program and use the simple interface to download videos: Copy and paste a URL, select the conversion file type and the destination folder on your PC, then download.
- Your video is now saved to your computer to edit and view in the software and player of your choice.